In 1946 by the n.56349 Ministerial Decree of 4 December 1946 the Hellenic Coast Guard Philharmonic Orchestra /Band was founded. This remarkable achievement is due to Coast Guard's Lieutenant Georgios Kavelaras persistent efforts. Then, he was put in charge of this whole endeavor, accompanied by X.Pavlovits a non-commissioned officer coming from the Hellenic Navy's Band and he was held responsible for being the Music Director of the new Coast Guard Band. Band’s first public appearance was at the National Holiday Celebrations (Independence Day) on25 March 1947. The Band throughout its may years of service has performed at some of the most prestigious events of the county including:
- The Incorporation of the Dodecanese within Greece (Sept.-Dec. 1947).
- Sports events (Pan-European Basketball Championship of National Teams 1987 at ,Peace and Friendship Stadium, the Opening Ceremony of the 1997 World Track and Field Championship at the Kallimarmaro Stadium, etc.),
- International Olympic Committee Events, participation at the Olympic Flame Lighting Ceremony for the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Marathon 1996, Kallimarmaro Stadium 1998, Olympia 2001, Piraeus 2004, Paralympics Tournaments 2004).
- The Security Forces Philharmonic Bands Concert which was held at Megaron-Athens Concert Hall on 29 January 2012.
- In June 2015 the Band gave a concert at the Municipal Theater of Piraeus.
- Since October 2015, the Band take part in the AMVER awards Ceremony of the INTERNATIONAL PROPELER CLUB.
- Various Concerts with the participation of famous Greek performers like Dakis, Vanessa Adamopoulou and others.
In 2019, the Band's participation in many events for celebrating the 100 years since the foundation of Hellenic Coast Guard was remarkable. The Anniversary events were completed with a great concert at Megaron Athens Concert Hall where the Band and famous performer Evanthia Repoutsika took part.
The Hellenic Coast Guard Band participates in many events of the Hellenic Coast Guard as well as in other social, religious and cultural ceremonies and celebrations. Moreover, it takes part at the Changing of the Guards Ceremony at Syntagma Square and also takes part at the annual events of non-profit organizations like UNICEF and ARGO. The Band has also given concerts all over Greece as part of Navy Week events including other events as well.
At the helm of the Hellenic Coast Guard Philharmonic Band were exceptional Conductors like Coast Guard Commanders Kasfikis Dimitrios, Mourafetis Evangelos and Coast Guard Captains Nikolouzos Spyridon, Mantzoukas Christos, Pangalis Stefanos, Peratinos Stylianos and Kasfikis Evangelos. Since November 2017, Chief Music Director of the Hellenic Coast Guard Band is the Coast Guard Commander VRETTOS George